“What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his. For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin—because anyone who has died has been set free from sin.” Romans 6:1-7
When you accept Christ and get baptized a shift is happening we are relating with Christ’s death. The old self that is self centered and ruled by sin gets put to the outside.
The old self must die. Baptism is important because the water becomes a watery tomb that our selfishness goes down into. When you rise up that watery tomb has now become a watery womb in which your new self rises. It is a demonstration and proclamation to your church body that you are putting the old self to the outside and putting Christ in the middle. (Notice that the old self does not disappear, it just gets put to the outside.)
- Your primary reality goes from being about you to being about Christ.
- The self centered “old self” is ruled by sin and flesh while the “new self” is ruled by the Spirit.
- In verse 4 from the scripture above, Paul uses the word “through” which is the Greek word DIA which means that baptism is the agency in which this takes place.
FAQs About Baptism
Why Should I get Baptized?
I Want to be Baptized, What’s Next?
- Pray about your decision.
- Let your Pastor know your are interested in participating in the next baptism. Baptisms will be held at the end of first and second service out in the courtyard.
- Invite family and friends to come and be a part of your special day.
Ministry Pastors’ Contact Information
- Jack Hawkins, Lead Pastor: email@example.com
- Paul Murray, Associate Pastor: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Betsy Roy, Director of Children: email@example.com
- Chad Richards, Director of Youth (High School and Junior High): firstname.lastname@example.org