How the Stay at Home Order Impacts OASIS
When we first set out to rebuild OASIS, we had this goal in mind: build OASIS in such a way that it could survive everything but a “Stay at Home” order. We’ve been pleasantly surprised by learning that we built it in such a way it could survive even that. And because the State of California has granted faith organizations protected status, with minimal modifications, we are legally able to continue to meet safely in large and small group settings, per the guidance provided by the State.
What We’ve Been Doing
At OASIS, we have already been doing everything we can to have safe, in-person worship gatherings for students. This includes:
- Meeting outdoors for large groups, and encouraging outdoor meetings for small groups
- Requiring facial coverings within 6 feet and when singing regardless of distance
- Practicing social distancing
- Providing hand sanitizer and cleaning frequently touched surfaces
- Collecting information for contact tracing at large group gatherings
Modifications We Are Making
As we said, not much needs to change from what’s listed above. However, we are now asking all small groups to meet outside, even if they have access to an indoor space that was previously able to host a gathering of that size. And we have informed small group leaders that, if they do not have access to a good, outdoor space to meet in, they are able to cancel or postpone their small group that is scheduled for this week.
In light of that, here are the tentative dates* as we are using to plan the remainder of December and January.
- Wednesday, December 9: In-person small groups at various times and locations. Contact your child’s small group leader or contact Luke for more details.
- Wednesday, December 16, 7:30 pm : A Merry OASIS Christmas Celebration! Free to attend, but please bring a $5–$10 wrapped gift.** Registration opens Wednesday, December 9 at 5:00 pm.
- December 17–January 12: CHRISTMAS BREAK
- Wednesday, January 13: OASIS Midweeks at The Cove
- Wednesday, January 20: NO Small Groups or Midweeks because of SRHS Finals
- Wednesday, January 27: OASIS Midweeks at The Cove
*Dates and times subject to change.
**For the gift exchange, please no used items from home, no food, creatures, or anything that can’t easily be sanitized. We will be providing supplies to sanitize items and disposable gloves to wear during the exchange.
Parent Meeting Re-watch
At the end of last month, I hosted our first Zoom parent meeting. If you missed it and would like to see it, let me know! I would be happy to send out a link to be able to re-watch the large group portion of the meeting and then answer any questions you may have.
That’s all for now. This is a crazy time, but we’re grateful that we’ve been able to continue to operate and point students to Jesus in this season. We’re praying for you and your family as you continue to navigate this time!
High School Pastor